Monday, May 14, 2007

Randomness

My sister and Kelly at Love Well have both done this - as have many others in blogville, so I thought I'd jump on the train. And let me tell ya - to think of 10 random things that not many people know about me is very very very hard. I tend to be a rather open book - not afraid to share with you what I love/think/feel and I also am just not a very exciting person with lots of unique stuff going on. However, here is my attempt at the new and unusual...

1. "Life is a Highway" is my ALL TIME FAVORITE driving song. And it ranks right up there as being one of my all time favorite songs, period. It brings up some very precise high school memories for me that I wouldn't trade for all the world. It is amazing how that time in my life seemed to rush right on by.

2. I still wear the same pair of Nike Crosstrainers that I bought sometime in college. That means that they would probably be in the neighborhood of 10-12 years old. With marriage, ministry, and mini-me's running around, it just hasn't been affordable for me to spend $100+ on a new pair of running shoes - especially since I'm not too fond of the whole running thing! I am trying to change my ways though, because I sure do need to come up with a plan to no longer look pregnant - now that the baby is two months old. Each time I set a goal in my mind to go walking, or running, or work out, I then realize - oh yeah, and my Nikes sure aren't in that great of condition. So Mr. Nike, if you're reading this - I wear a size 8. And I like periwinkle.

3. I fall asleep within 5 minutes at night if I put a DVD of "Friends" on. It's just comfort-food for my ears. Some people need warm milk - I just need to hear "I'll be there for you..." and I'm a zombie!

4. I would LOVE to learn how to play the drums. I air drum way too much in the car to be a cool momma. One of these days the kids are going to be old enough to realize how dorky I look and tell me to stop it. Until them - I'll fantasize about my wicked riffs!

5. While I'm picking up the drums, I'd also love to learn how to Ballroom Dance, especially the salsa. For all you Dancing with the Stars fans, I have to say that my all time favorite performance was when Stacey Kiebler and Tony did their salsa to "Bootylicious." I know, it's not a song that's really in keeping with my faith, but MY WORD she could shake her booty! I'd love to be able to do that.

6. I love to cook. I love all things about cooking - I love the planning, the reading of recipes, the dreaming up of menus, I even love to grocery shop and organize my cart by category. Cooking is a true expression of love for my family - if they could just GET THAT when they say yuck to the newest veggie I've laid out on the table. BUT - and this is the part that most people DON'T know - I hate to bake. Yes, I get the brownie craving or the cookie craving just like anyone else. But to have to bake them just stresses me out. You see, with cooking, there is a total margin for error. With baking, it's just too easy to mess it up. And my brain cells have really taken a leave of absence since having a third kid - so baking is really not my forte lately.

7. I have been engaged to be married three times. Walked the aisle only once.

8. I love love love the smell of tires, or the flip flop section at Payless Shoes. Something about the rubber truly makes me salivate. I know that's weird, but I could spend all day just sniffing the tire section at Sam's. It started when I was pregnant with Tobin and I thought for sure it was just a pregnancy thing. But it's never gone away. Just thinking about it right now is making my mouth water. Seriously - I'm strange, y'all.

9. I'm a pop culture whiz. Don't ask me why. Not like I want to be a celebrity, or even meet any of them. But ask me who an actor is when we see him on TV, and I can most likely tell you his name, what movie he's in, and where he last vacationed with his non-spouse. This probably comes from having www.people.com as my home page. Yep, folks, a college education - hard at work.

10. I have been to every state in the United States except for Alaska and Hawaii. And strangely enough, I don't really have a desire to go to either one. If I could travel and/or live anywhere in the USA, I would gladly take the next plane to Oregon. Everything about that state is completely marvelous. It truly is God's country.

3 comments:

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Ok. That's creepy. We have a lot in common.

I almost put your #8 on my list. I love the smell of new tennis shoes. It's almost an addiction. I can stand and sniff a good pair all day, if my sense of decorum (read: my husband) didn't stop me.

I also play the drums in the car. You should see me on the new Newsboys song "Your Love Is Better Than Life."

I also would love to learn to ballroom dance. I don't watch "Dancing with the Stars" because I know it would only create jealousy in me. And truthfully, that's why I became a Jazzericse instructor -- because it's the form of exercise closest to dancing. (Plus, it's usually all women, so this Baptist-raised girl doesn't have to worry if she's Booytlicious.)

And cooking? Don't get me started. I feel exactly the same way -- only I love to bake. That's actually my favorite genre of cooking.

Ok. I'll stop now.

But man. It's creepy how much weirdness we share!

Alana said...

I'm so glad you're back. It seems like you've been gone awhile and I've missed your blog posts! I know it hasn't really been that long, but when you are addicted to blogging it seems like it ;-)

Andrea said...

I very vividly remember driving with you in your car in Bend when you first got your license and 'Life is a Highway' came on. You turned in up so loud I thought my eardrums were going to burst. :)